Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Is it possible to enumerate the ten best open source desktop applications?

I came across a post today in Softpedia enumerating the top 10 open source applications. And the list has very good software: GIMP, Mplayer, Amarok, Pidgin, Wine, Open Office, K3B, Firefox, Thunderbird and Filezilla. However, many of these programs have very good open-source alternatives, some with more advanced features. That set me thinking about what, to me are the top ten open source programs. And just out of my head came out the following names: Paint.NET, GIMP, VLC, Audacity, Amarok, Open Office, Gnumeric, K3B, Konqueror, Seamonkey, Evolution mail client, Gparted, Digikam,GCompris (an educational game suite for children), Synaptic Package Manager and 7z. Of course, some of these are Windows specific, like Paint.NET or 7z(can be run under Wine in Linux), but still, even at the first attempt, I got 16 programs. And then, I thought of Kaffeine, TuxPaint (Great for children), Abiword, vi, Lyx, and saw that in no way were these programs inferior to the others that I thought up in the first attempt. And then I realised the futility of finding the top 10 among open-source. The entire Open and Free software world has attained such a state of polish that  a best 10, even I dare say, a best 50 cannot be reliably made. What will matter is the choice of the user.  And the user is the winner for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[quote]I came across a post today in Softpedia enumerating the top 10 open source applications. And the list has very good software: GIMP, Mplayer, Amarok, Pidgin, Wine, Open Office, K3B, Firefox, Thunderbird and Filezilla. However, many of these programs have very good open-source alternatives, some with more advanced features. That set me thinking about what, to me are the top ten open source programs. And just out of my head came out the following names: Paint.NET, GIMP, VLC, Audacity, Amarok, Open Office, Gnumeric, K3B, Konqueror, Seamonkey, Evolution mail client, Gparted, Digikam,GCompris (an educational game suite for children), Synaptic Package Manager and 7z. Of course, some of these are Windows specific, like Paint.NET or 7z(can be run under Wine in Linux), but still, even at the first attempt, I got 16 programs. And then, I thought of Kaffeine, TuxPaint (Great for children), Abiword, vi, Lyx, and saw that in no way were these programs inferior to the others that I thought up in the first attempt. And then I realised the futility of finding the top 10 among open-source. The entire Open and Free software world has attained such a state of polish that  a best 10, even I dare say, a best 50 cannot be reliably made. What will matter is the choice of the user.  And the user is the winner for it.[/quote]

Well, well, well...

ANY QUESTIONS???

HawkEye said...

As public networking an internet-based material become more well-known, the variety of options available to a individual to eat electronic details is constantly on the increase" this is very useful thanks for discussing.
DC Locksmith